Monday, July 8, 2013

Time is fleeting

Certainly has been a while since I have updated my blog! I can't believe it has been a year since I have been on prepaid service.

A lot has happened since my last post on 9/17/12.

On October 4th I accepted a new job!



 

On October 5th my apartment building had a serious fire. I unfortunately was 2 apartments away from the source and I lost almost everything I owned. I was camping, so I literally could fit all my belongings in the trunk of my car with space to spare.

The road to recovery is certainly long and arduous. I had renters insurance, however it only covered just over half of what I lost. I have been able to replace things but still have a ways to go.

I am so happy I was on an unlimited prepaid service (Straight Talk) because, just in the month of October, I used over 2500 minutes, thousands of texts and countless gigabytes of data just dealing with the aftermath of the fire. On my Verizon plans had only 400 anytime minutes and I would have burned through that in 2 days.
My galaxy Nexus has been a trooper. Since I lost everything it became my primary Internet source for weeks. That phone kept up and provided a decent enough Web experience the do most of what I needed.



Not all is bad
I have been fortunate even during an extremely difficult part of my life. I have traveled to the Caribbean in January for a week. Then, in March, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to New Zealand for 2 weeks. 

Let me tell you, having a simple based phone was great. So easy to just get service while traveling.
Look for my upcoming 1 year review of Straight Talk, as well as my analysis of the ever growing prepaid services. It certainly seems a lot of folks have become fed up with the high costs of contracts and want the freedom of prepaid more and more.

As always, don't forget to follow my blog if you are interested and share the info with others.

-Matt

1 comment: