Monday, July 16, 2012

LTE vs HSPA+....the great debate?

Now that I have a few days and done some speed testing across different areas I feel I can begin sharing what I feel will be the "Norm" using straight talk.  More impressions to follow after my first full month with them.





Speed vs. Speed....

So coming from a HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon's really quick LTE service, I wanted to share some of my mobile network speed tests with everyone.  While I knew that the service I was going to would be slower, I really have not noticed a significant difference.

With LTE I usually saw a peak up/down of about 10 / 7-8 Mpbs.  Pretty darn quick compared to Verizon's 3G network.

With the HSPA+ (21 Mbps since the Galaxy Nexus does not support the newer 42 Mbps HSPA+) I have gotten some decent speeds.


The bottom of the list is was a pretty remote area.  I did these tests over about a 180 mile journey from Philadelphia to Washington DC.  Overall, I barely noticed any problems.  The long ping times made web pages and Google plus a little slower to respond, but I didn't feel inconvenienced by it.  

I am willing to sacrifice a little speed for the sake of saving so much money per month.  I find myself more frequently around WiFi signals, so If I really need fast data, I can just connect. 

Speeds in my place, but I have fast WiFi


Time to ask the readers:

So, to everyone who reads this blog, what are your average network speeds?  Would you be willing to sacrifice some of that speed to save upwards of $70 per month?  Echo...echo?

Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment